Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Turkey Meatballs

**Edit**: I removed the picture of the meatballs because, as my mom kindly pointed out, they don't look as pretty as they taste. Especially not on my less than beautiful cookie sheets. I should have gotten a picture with them on the pasta and sauce. Please, if you initially shied away b/c they looked less than appetizing, give them a chance!

About 2 months into this pregnancy I realized that dairy products were making me really sick. I've never had an intolerance to dairy before and my diet consisted of as much cheese and milk I could let my health conscious self eat. I now eat no dairy if I can possibly help it. Milk baked into things doesn't seem to be a huge problem . . . but gone (temporarily, I hope) are the days of cheese covered pastas =(

This change in my eating has forced me to dig a little for new recipes that I can eat and I've found a few that we've really enjoyed, turkey meatballs being one of them. My friend, Eileen, made these for a dinner one night and I couldn't wait to try them out on my own!

Turkey Meatballs
Makes 4 doz 1 1/2 to 2 inch meatballs

2 lbs ground turkey
1/4 loaf of italian bread
milk
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Thyme
Salt and pepper

Tear the bread into small pieces, place in a bowl and let soak in milk for about 30-45 min.

Drain the remaining milk from the bowl and add the remaining ingredients, seasoning with thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Form into meatballs. Bake at 350 for about 20 min or until the turkey is cooked through.

Serve over pasta with sauce.

I actually made these meatballs a few weeks ahead of time and froze them. They turned out great, I just placed them on the baking sheet still frozen and baked for 30-4o min at 350.

No comments: