Monday, March 16, 2009

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day, I'm super excited! This is our traditional St. Patrick's Day dinner. I usually serve it with soda bread as well . . . this year I'm trying a new potato recipe called Colcannon, which is essentially mashed potatoes with cabbage and leeks. I just can't wait!

Like many Americans, Greg and I are European mutts; but I do claim my little sliver of Irish heritage (my grandfather's grandfather was born in Ireland) on March 17th =)



Servings: 6
Start to finish: 10 hours

1 Corned beef brisket, as large as your crockpot will allow
2 liters 7-Up®
1 pinch seasoned salt
1 pinch sugar

Put the beef in crock pot and pour 7-Up over it to almost cover the beef. Cook all day on low (about 10 hours).

Cut cabbage into wedges and place in crock pot approximately 2-3 hours before you plan to eat (when beef has been cooking 7-8 hours), sprinkle with seasoned salt and sugar. Continue to cook on low for remaining 2-3 hours

Slice beef and serve with cabbage on the side.

1 comment:

The Honea Pad said...

MMMMMM... It was so good!