Tuesday, August 12, 2008

An Update

Thank you again to all of you who have been praying for Greg and I over the past 3 weeks. We so appreciate your prayers and have needed them so intensely.

I'll leave out most of the details, but I wanted to give a quick update to those who have been following our story through our blog. When we found out 3 weeks ago that we had lost our baby, I had not yet experienced the full miscarriage. 3 weeks later, this past Sunday Greg ended up taking me into the ER for an emergency procedure because my body was losing too much blood as it was completing the process of the miscarriage. We came back home the same day and everything is going well, I just need to take it easy for the next couple of weeks as my body heals.

The whole rushing the spouse to the hospital was a new experience for Greg and I (though we've both spent our fair share of time in hospitals growing up, Greg more than I) and there are probably some aspects we would do differently if we were ever in that position again. For instance, me sitting in the car honking the horn to trying to hurry up Greg as he gathered important information wasn't really helpful . . . but now we know. *Confession* I actually knew at the time it wasn't helping anything, but I felt I needed to try anyway. And we'd grab some snacks or cash for the vending machine; "any minute now" in hospital language, we've learned, translates to any number of hours.

There was definitely a temptation to fear as the situation was unfolding at our house Sunday morning, but God was amazingly faithful to give us peace. As soon as I woke up that morning quotes from Spurgeon's Beside Still Waters were floating through my head rather than anxious thoughts about what was going on. We were able to get in touch with my family right before the church service started and had both our families and many close friends praying for us. And, this still amazes me and give me goosebumps, Leah was being prayed for at her church (over an hour away) that morning and one of the men praying for her stopped in the middle of praying for her and began praying for a "close friend of Leah's" (me!) who was experiencing a miscarriage. Leah had no idea what was going on with me that morning, but she and others were covering me with specific prayers right when I needed them most. (That's the cliff notes version)

So, that's my "quick" update. We're full of anticipation to see how the rest of this story will unfold!

3 comments:

The Nilsen Nest said...

So good to see you are feeling well, friend. Enjoy your cozy couch nest:) Looking forward to your visit on Tuesday! Love you!

kendra said...

Hil, it has been so awesome seeing how you have dealt with this. Even in your honesty, admitting fear and discouragement (since people often seem to just skim over that) and your humor (i can totally see you honking the horn. I laughed really loudly at that part. It startled someone sitting next to me.)It is so awesome to see the grace the Lord has poured upon you these past weeks
Love you!

Rebecca said...

We will continue praying for you, Hil...I know this is not easy. Love you!