Monday, August 25, 2008

Sesame Chicken

I'm getting back in the swing of cooking a more well-rounded menu than just frozen ravioli and grapes and now that I don't become nauseous just looking at recipes, I've been having fun going through magazines and cookbooks again! Here's a new Ross Favorite:


Lighter Sesame Chicken

(from MarthaStewart.com)

Ingredients

Serves 4

  • 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or crushed with a garlic press
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 2-inch chunks
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into large florets, stems peeled and thinly sliced
Directions
  1. Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, and fill with 1 inch water; set aside for broccoli. Cook rice according to package instructions.
  2. Meanwhile, make sauce: In a small bowl, combine honey, sesame seeds, soy sauce, and garlic; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites and cornstarch. Add chicken; season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
  3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add half the chicken; cook, turning occasionally, until golden and opaque throughout, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and chicken. Return all the chicken to skillet; add reserved sauce and scallions, and toss to coat.
  4. Meanwhile, place saucepan with steamer basket over high heat; bring water to a boil. Add broccoli, and cook until crisp-tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Serve sesame chicken with broccoli and rice.
This was actually the first time I had cooked brown rice and it was a crash and burn experience. It was crunchy to the texture of cereal . . . yea . . . but we actually do prefer brown rice (when it's cooked properly) so I'm determined to figure out what I did wrong. I have a feeling that I wasn't paying full attention when I measured the water and I didn't put enough in. Any thoughts or suggestions from you brown rice cooking masters??

6 comments:

Topharmers Wife said...

mmm that looks really yummy, and easy! I may have to try that tonight...As far as brown rice, all I know is that I normally soak it after I rinse it for like 10 minutes, and that it cooks longer than white rice, so when I am being lazy I buy the 10 minute brown rice and call it a day!

Rebecca said...

I love my rice cooker, which does all the work for me. I usually mix half brown and half white, and it takes the same amount as white in the rice cooker. It's a nice luxury, but worth it if you want to make sushi ever.

Unknown said...

Ok first, I am in absolute LOVE with your header! Where did you find something that cool??? I have looked and looked for good blog templates and haven't found anything close to that.

As for the brown rice, I just buy the minute kind and follow the directions. You sound like a much better cook than me so I'm sure whatever happened was just an oversight. I think the general rule is to just put in equal parts rice and water.

Anne said...

I really like your new blog set up too! It's very pretty and interesting to the eye:)

I have had many a bad brown rice making experience unfortunately! Both of the crunchy and mushy variety:( I think part of my problem is that I let the water simmer (ahem, "boil" might be more honest) too hard and the water ends up evaporating before it can influence the rice....This is not actually helpful since you asked for help....I just thought I'd let you know you aren't alone!

kendra said...

i gave up on brown rice. Can't lie.

BUT

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Recipe looks great. I only cook brown rice now and love it. I think Ann was on to something. If you use a nice low simmer, don't rush it and don't peak by opening the lid it ought to come out just fine. Adding the little bit of butter helps too.
=)