Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sunset Beach

We just (as in 4 days ago . . .) returned from a wonderfully relaxing week at Sunset Beach with my family and our dear friends, the Mercados. We've been vacationing at that beach for the past 14 years (though this is the first year Greg and I have been able to spend a whole week there since we were married) and it's always a treat to go back to such familiar surroundings.

Greg fished from the pier almost every morning, getting up at the crack of dawn to catch live bait. I joined him most mornings to watch the hunter/gatherer at work, but at a more reasonable time =) Waking up at 5:30 on vacation doesn't describe my idea of vacation at all! Greg enjoyed the fishing as well as the community out on the pier. It was fun when I was there to have seasoned fishermen coming up to our spot on the pier and offer suggestions, or, in some cases, simply take over!

Typically the fishing was over by 10 or 11 and then we'd head out to the beach for the rest of the day. The Mercados brought a wonderful gazebo so we really could spend most of the day on the sand and not get completely burnt! We also had a volleyball net and horse shoes set up most days. Thinking back, I can't recall Greg sitting down for more than 2 minutes all summed up. That's my boy!

Our evenings were full of delicious dinners at our HUGE dinning room table (it's rare to find a table at a vacation home that really does accomodate 13 people!), watching movies, and generally hanging out and relaxing. It was hard to pack up and come home on Saturday . . . but as Greg reminded me, it always is =)


The whole crew


This was our lunch one day . . . so delish!
Dad's first time fishing in about 30 years =)

A little catnap while in Calabash for dinner one night
We went out on Wednesday to celebrate our 3rd Anniversary! Side note - can't believe we've already been married 3 years . . . I love my life with this man!!

Me and the 2 fakies =)

No comments: