Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Creation Lilies

This is my beautiful day lily from Pennsylvania. For several years, every June, Greg and I along with a couple car loads of friends and siblings would head up to Pennsylvania to work as Individual Camping supervisors for a week at the Creation Festival. It was hard work, often 12-14 hour days in the hot sun and often mud. During the week every year we would vow this was the last year, but then on the trip home as all the stories spilled out, our excitement would renew and we'd begin planning to return the next year.

The first year that I went, I noticed these beautiful wild day lilies that grew along a stream in one of the camping fields. I pointed them out to Greg as we drove by on the golf cart and that was that. Well, the next morning and every other morning for the years we were at Creation, Greg would bring me one of these lilies in a dixie cup. (You can see why I snatched him up, can't you??)

2005 was our last year at the festival and one night we sneaked out into the field with a flash light and a spade and dug up a bulb. (I'm sure the sneaking around in the dark was unnecessary, but it made it seem much more exciting at the time) I'm so glad to have this memory of our fun summers in PA!

2 comments:

Deb said...

What a VERY special thing! It's beautiful. (and yes, I can see lots of reasons why you "snatched up" the boy! hehe)

The Brown Family said...

How sweet (especially the Dixie cup). Yep, a good one to snatch :)

Love you!