Saturday, April 18, 2009

Amish Friendship Bread

This past week I got an Amish Friendship Bread starter from my mom . . . I'm rather excited about it as I love baking, but it does bring back some memories of trying to pawn off - I mean generously give - the starters to my very small circle of friends as each batch multiplied every 10 days. I've since learned that you can freeze the starter if you need a break and that you can turn a spare starter into a loaf of bread instead of giving them away. Plus, Mom found this great website with many variations on how to bake with the starter so you don't get bored of the same sweet bread (the 3rd page of variations is what I'm looking forward to the most)

I'm on day 6 right now and looking forward to my first loaf this week!

Oh, yes, the whole point of the this post . . . Please, please, please let me know if you would like a starter and I will make sure you get one =)

4 comments:

Allie Bea said...

I'm eating some right now. =)

SA said...

The never ending Amish bread! I love that stuff, but agree that it can get a little overwhelming baking a new loaf every 10 days and finding several new people to take a bag of batter from you. Best of luck! If you want to overnight one, I'd love a batch ;)

-Sally Ann

Ashley said...

That is my fave Amish bread variation site. I used to try all kinds since we had a loaf so often! Aaron also figured out how to make the recipe cut down so that you only end up with one extra starter each time instead of three.....if you get tired of finding ppl to suck into the never ending cycle of Amish bread let me know and I can get him to do the math again. I hope you are doing well!

Jen said...

Oh Hilary! If only I had see this sooner. I've been breaking this bread on and off for the last month and a half. We love it but I got tired of keeping up with it. I finally threw it out! Next time, I'll know. BTW, last week I made your corned beef recipe in the crock pot! Yum. Ryan thanks you, too.