Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Purpose

For a while now I have felt that I am lacking purpose. Obviously there are the overall purposes to glorify God and enjoy Him forever, and to serve and care for my husband; but beyond that, there has been no consistent purpose in my life (as an example of what kind of purpose I'm talking about: for others I know it's working on college studies to the best of their abilities, preparing for their first baby, caring for their children, discipling students, etc). For me, purpose is often linked with involvement. What am I involved with? How much am I involved with? Are my perceived gifts and talents being used?

It has been a discouraging road to walk at times as I pursue the Lord to see what my purpose should be for right now, but He is always faithful to give encouragement when I need it most. I was reading Beside Still Waters by Charles Spurgeon the other morning and came across the following quote; may it encourage any one else who feels the same way:
When you are retired or inactive, prepare for the time when God will again use you. If you are put on the shelf, do not rust; pray that the Master will polish you, so that when He uses you again you will be fully ready for the work.

While you are laid aside, I want you to pray for others that are working. Help them and encourage them. Do not get into that peevish, miserable frame of mind that grudges and undervalues other's efforts. Some people when they cannot do anything, do not like anybody else to work. Promise that if you cannot help, you will never hinder. Spend time in prayer, that you may be fit for the Master's use.

2 comments:

The Nilsen Nest said...

I know God has big plans for you, just around the corner! He's using you in many ways! And don't forget, your trip is right around the corner! How about that walk next week? Thanks for sharing your burden, you'll be in me prayers.

Robin said...

Awwww Hilary....you aren't alone! There have been many times in my life I have felt the same way. And usually it's when the desires of my heart seem to be met in everyone's life but my own. Can we say I was self-focused??? Anyway, I know the Lord will be faithful to you and show you how you can best serve Him with a greater purpose during this season...just don't put limits on what you will accept as His calling for this season! You are a great example of pursuing the Lord and I know you are ready for anything He throws your way!