Friday, September 25, 2009

2 Months!

Wow . . . I can't believe that it's already been 2 months. It really doesn't feel like it's been long enough for 2 whole months to go by. And at the same time, if I wasn't staring at a tiny baby, I would think that Zach's been here closer to 10 years. I have a pretty good idea that it will always feel this way!

We just got back from his 2 month well check. He's weighing in at 11lbs 4oz and measuring 23 1/4", which puts him in the 50th percentile for height and between the 10th and 25th for weight. Tall and skinny . . . shocker =)

He also got 3 immunizations, poor little guy. =( Thankfully the actual giving of the shot went better than last month when he received part 2 of the HepB vaccine. Last time I held him during the shot and it was heartbreaking. I cried only marginally less than he did. I was surprised at my reaction because needles don't bother me in the slightest. I even let my friend practice starting IVs on me when she was a nursing student. But when Zach screamed and grabbed onto my shirt with a death grip, I lost it.

This time, the nurse had me lay him on the table and stand behind him so that he couldn't see me (and I admitt that I turned away and didn't watch). That way he didn't associate me with the pain nor was he mad at me for letting something like that happen to him while in my arms. I was able to sweep him up as soon as it was all over and comfort him. The calming down process didn't take nearly as long. I cuddled him and walked around the outside of the medical building for a few minutes and he was sound asleep within moments of putting him the car. So far he's doing really well; he's been his usual smiley self and hasn't shown any signs of a fever.

As you saw earlier, he's rolling over now (just from tummy to back). He's also smiling, making great eye contact, tracking certain toys and people with his eyes, reaching, batting, and grabbing at toys and my hair (I have a feeling that ponytails are going to become more and more standard!), and as our pediatrician pointed out today, starting to work on getting his butt up in the air . . . it looks like he's trying his hardest to be an early crawler. He and Spartacus will be great friends once he's moving around!

I hesitate to announce this on the blog as I have a tendency to jinx myself, but last night marked 7 days in a row of Zach sleeping through the night! The sleepless haze has been lifted and what a difference that makes! It really is like having a cold where you can't imagine life without a sniffle and a sore throat and then as soon as it's over you can barely remember the sickness. I'm so glad that God allows us to have such short term memories about things like that. It gives Zach a much better chance of not being an only child =)

**For reference, here's Zach with the Bear when he was only 4 days old.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Hilary, this is ADORABLE...and what a great idea to photograph him as he grows with the same bear :)
Wow! LOOK how much he has grown already!

Will K. said...

I completely agree about the shots...it is HORRIBLE! I think it gets better and better, although it is always pretty terrible. It helps to think that we are protecting them from terrible diseases.

He is a cutey!
Meg