Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!

This post is a day late, I know . . . We don't have internet at the house yet, so I had to wait to post this when I got to work. Greg and I had fantastic day celebrating with our mom's. We were at the beach in the morning with his mom and family (beach pictures coming soon) and then got to hang out with my mom and family on Sunday evening.

I was talking with a friend this morning about how much our parents have done for us that we don't even appreciate until we're much older, and it made me think once again how much my mom has done for me and taught me. I don't think I realized the extent of how much she poured into my life until I got married. Everything from cleaning a bathroom to grocery shopping on a tight budget (remember when macaroni and cheese with hot dog cut up in it was a special treat??) I learned from my mom.

There was a time in my life in middle school when I would never have thought that I would one day consider my mom one of my very closest friends. I was resentful of her involvement in my life, thinking that I knew what was best. I don't know when the change took place in my heart, but I'm so very thankful that it did! I love being with Mom, running into her at the grocery store, catching up on the phone, having dinner together and calling her with any random questions that she might have the answers for. I am so blessed.

The greatest example that Mom has given me is without a doubt her relationship with the Lord. Nearly every morning as I'd be leaving for work or school, she would be sitting on the couch with her Bible and coffee. Her example of faithfulness and dependence on the Lord has left long lasting marks on me. She has also been part of 2 different ladies prayer groups over the past 5 or 6 years. It always amazed me when nearly every week she'd let me know that the ladies had prayed for me in some specific way. Often times I'd wonder if they ever had time to pray for anyone else!

Thanks, Mom for all your love, training, support, and the wonderful example that you've been to me. I want to be just like you when I grow up!

No comments: