Monday, June 9, 2008

A momentary aside . . .

I'll continue posting more Paris pictures as I have time, but I had to interrupt with a little update from my garden.

As you know, Greg built me a wonderful garden plot this winter and things have been coming along quite well. The seeds have sprouted, everything is growing and it's only a matter of days until our first tomatoes! I'm learning a lot from this very first garden (I've really only used pots for veggies up to this point), like herbs take FOREVER to grow from seed, if you only have room for 4 heads of lettuce, you might as well plant something else instead, and under no circumstance should you use Miracle Grow on zucchini!

We arrived home from Paris to find that the garden largely resembled a jungle from the massive amounts of HUGE zucchini leaves that had decided it should not be limited to it's own spot in the garden. I finally took some time to prune back some of the leaves this morning so that it wouldn't completely over take the cherry tomatoes and found this . . .

That's right folks, an 18 inch zucchini! I debated whether or not to cut it off or leave it be and see how big it could get; but I decided to chop it so it wouldn't deplete all of the plants nutrients. Does anyone know if it's worth eating? I've read they can get bitter it they're too big . . . as this one most definitely is!

3 comments:

Greg said...

That's bigger than the biggest bass I've caught. Probably weighs a couple pounds too.

LeahHawkins said...

OH MY GOSH!!! THis was the greatest blog entry ever!!!!!

Robin said...

Way to go with your green thumb!!! Just so you know....zucchini will grow to a gargantuan size...even without miracle gro!!!! Every year, my mom has one that is at least 18 to 20 inches long and about 4+ inches in diameter. Sooo the big ones like that...are great to scoop out the seeds, brush with olive oil & salt & pepper, throw them on the grill for a few minutes. then stuff them with your favorite stuffing mix...with our without meat, and a little parmesan or other finely grated cheese and stick them under the broiler for a minute. Yum...I'm looking forward to fresh veggies!!!
I totally agree with Leah...what a great post!