Thursday, February 21, 2008

"I'm probably more like a rock . . . "


Last night we had our college ministry's small group meeting . . . the topic was Relationships. Though the questions were primarily geared towards those who are not yet in a relationship, the whole evening was a great reminder for Greg and I that some of the issues of the heart that we dealt with more diligently as we prepared for marriage are still rearing their ugly heads now. The sanctification process is definitely alive and well at the Ross house.

After the discussion time as we all just sat around and chatted I was talking with our CG leader's wife about some of the sin issues that seemed to be magnified in marriage. A lack of self control over my emotions often tops that list for me. She went on to share something that her husband had pointed out to her . . . he's not a journal . . . she can't just unload all of her thoughts, feelings and emotions with no regard to how all those words effect him. It was like a light bulb went on in my head. Periodically I'll unload all of these major emotions and apparent crises on Greg, roll over and have a wonderfully peaceful night of sleep. All the while Greg is waking up constantly, wondering what he did wrong and how he can fix the situation. When we wake up in the morning I feel wonderful, usually can't even remember what brought me to the "end of the world" situation the night before; and my poor man is exhausted and concerned.

Greg happened to join the conversation right then and I turned to him, my eyes newly opened to this large area of needed growth, and I said "I never really thought of it that way . . . sometimes I do treat you like a journal"

"Hmmm . . . I would say I'm probably more like a rock."

We both looked at him with a quizzical look, wondering where this was going (I love my man, but analogies aren't often his strong suit).

"What do you mean, you're more like a rock??"

"Well, I don't really see how I'm like a gerbil . . . "

I didn't hear much after that . . . I was too busy wiping away my tears from laughing too hard =)

2 comments:

The Nilsen Nest said...

Um, that's AWESOME! Silly guys! :)

LeahHawkins said...

So I read this aloud to Evan and I got an, "Amen, you treat me like that sometimes too.." I talk to him like he's my mom... But my mom and I have separate lives so she never felt the need to fix anything... Evan does! Psssshhh Girls!!